Thursday, December 24, 2015

facebook christmas

The last time I lived in Israel, Christmas came and went without so much as a single wreath or Rudolph reference in my awareness. Fifteen years later, I'm feeling the holiday spirit. I’m seeing the sprinkle cookies, tinseled trees, the raw, too-bright festive smiles, with the concurrent grief of not having, in this time of everyone-everywhere having. 

I feel like I live in a million worlds all at once. 497 actually, to be exact. My Facebook feed colors my everyday perspective. I wake up to it and go to sleep with it. I kind of feel owned by it, to be honest. There is a long list of things I would love to do with my spare moments: read all the books, learn photography with the online course I bought on a black friday whim, do yoga, make more eye contact with my children, just be quiet and present. I know that i am not alone, probably by a factor of several million humans on earth that feel this way maybe. 

I’m grateful that I have a weekly 25 hour break in the form of the Jewish Sabbath, but somehow that doesn't translate to different choices during the week. I listened to a podcast yesterday while mopping my floor. They were talking about U-turns in life, about change. They quoted song lyrics: “no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, alright, yes.” It was so perfect that I had to smile. I guess I haven't hit enough “no’s” quite yet. Until then, it will have to be “ho ho ho” for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment